A well balanced life is essential for personal effectiveness, peace of mind and living well. There is always someone, or something, to answer to. There are things we want to do and things we must do.
The challenge is to balance what we must do with what we enjoy and want to do. This is not always easy. If, however, we are unable to reduce stress and manage a well balanced life there can be physical and/or emotional health consequences.
1. Take care of and nurture yourself. You cannot accomplish anything if you're unhealthy. Get plenty of rest, exercise and eat properly.
2. Know what your priorities are. Balance doesn't mean do everything you can. Examine your values and decide what's important to you, then set your boundaries. Depending on what stage you're at in your life, your focus and energies will be different. Not knowing what you want and trying to do everything at once can be a recipe for disaster instead of the road to leading a well balanced life.
3. Create an efficient mindset. Be organized and plan ahead. Take time at the beginning of each week to assess what needs to be done. Make a to-do list in a planner or calendar for upcoming appointments. Be sure to assign recreation and quality time for yourself and your family as well. Taking time to connect with family and friends will recharge your batteries and make you more efficient in the long run.
4. Expect the unexpected. Rather than get stressed and upset, allow yourself to roll with the punches when something you have no control over happens. If you accept that anything can happen at any time, it's less likely it throw you off your stride when it does. Be able to adjust your game plan.
5. Maintain a positive mental attitude. Begin each day with the intention of making the best and most of it. It may not always go as planned, but it can go more smoothly if you put it in perspective. Learn to live in and savor the moment. Once you've done everything you can within your control, let your life unfold. Be prepared for the future, but don't worry about it.